PAD KEE MAO RECIPE
If you love Thai food, then you must have heard of pad kee mao!
Pad kee mao, also known as drunken noodles, is spicy, sweet, and salty.
There are a few theories about the origin of the name of this dish. One theory is that these spicy Thai noodles are perfect for after a night out drinking with friends and that they are a great cure for hangovers.
This noodle dish is extremely popular in Thailand and in Thai cuisine. It is typically a spicy dish, however, you are in charge of the heat!
Our Little Elephant recipe is easy, fast and simple to make.
Allergens: Mollusc, Soy, Wheat, Gluten.
For a vegan option: exclude or omit egg, protein, oyster sauce, and substitute with alternatives.
Serves: 1 person
What you will need:
Oyster sauce: 3 teaspoons
Soya sauce: 2 teaspoons
Sugar: 2 teaspoons
Ground white pepper: a pinch
Cooking oil: 2 tablespoons
Garlic: 4 cloves
Red chilli: 1
Fresh basil: 5 grams
Broccoli: 50 grams
Onions: 20 grams
Bell peppers: 40 grams
Chicken: 70 grams
How to cook:
00. Wash all fresh produce.
01. In a large pot or pan, fill water up to ¾ full and bring to a boil. Add rice noodles and cook for 4-5 minutes, constantly separating the noodles. Drain and rinse with cold water. Toss the cooked noodles with some cooking oil to avoid the noodles sticking together.
02. Cut chicken into thin strips. Chop up the chilli and garlic into fine dice or pound them with pastel and mortar.
03. Cut broccoli into small florets. Peel and cut the onion into thin slices. Cut bell pepper into quartered and deseeded then cut into thin slices. Cut lime into wedges. Cut the tomato into quarters. Pick basil leaves off stalks and set everything aside.
04. In a large pan/wok over high heat, pour in a small amount of cooking oil. Then add chicken strips and make sure to cook them on both sides.
05. Add broccoli, onions, peppers and cook everything together. Crack 1 egg and add to the pan, scramble the eggs in. Now add in all of the chopped chilli and garlic and stir everything in.
06. Put in cooked noodles then add 2 teaspoons of Oyster sauce, 2 teaspoons of Soya sauce, 2 teaspoons of sugar and a pinch of ground white pepper. Mix in together so that everything is coated evenly.
08. Add tomato and basil to the mixture then stir until basil is wilted.
09. Enjoy with freshly squeezed lime juice right before serving!